What is a doula?
The term "doula" is derived from a Greek word meaning "servant." Today, a doula is a trained labor companion who is skilled in offering emotional, physical, and educational support during pregnancy, birth, and postpartum.
What do services include?
- One free in-person consultation to discuss services and decide if we would be a good fit.
- Provide evidence-based information so you can decide what is best for YOU and your birth
- Access to my resource library with many books and articles on pregnancy and birth
- Unlimited availability over phone/email/text throughout pregnancy to answer questions
- Two (1-2 hour) prenatal visits to discuss in-depth birth plan and preferences, provide information on alternatives and options during birth, and help the client become familiar with comfort measures and pain management during labor.
- 24/7 on call from 38 weeks until baby is born
- Referrals to local providers, include acupuncturists, chiropractors, lactation consultants, pediatricians, etc.
- In-person support either at your home or place of birth during active labor through 1-2 hours postpartum, usually until breastfeeding is established.
- Provide evidence-based information to help you make informed decisions during the childbirth process
- Supporting your birth plan which we have previously discussed
- Suggesting frequent position changes to aid the labor progress
- Providing comfort measures including massage, rebozo techniques, heat and cold, aromatherapy, flameless candles, and position changes.
- Able to relieve your partner if they need a break to get food or rest
- Able to provide your partner with suggestions for effective ways to help you
- Help facilitate open and direct communication between you and your care providers
- If desired (see birth photography bundle package) take photographs during labor, birth, and first moments.
- One postpartum visit during which we discuss your labor and birth experience, breastfeeding, newborn sleep, and any additional postpartum issues. I also provide you with a timeline of your labor progress (I take notes of significant points during labor and write down facts, which allows you to more easily remember and piece your story back together).
- Additional postpartum assistance with breastfeeding, baby care may be available for an hourly fee
- $850 for full service doula package
- Payment plans available
- Discount when bundling with photography services
My doula client receive a large discount off of birth photography by bundling doula and photography services! Contact me for details!
I would recommend Joyanna in a heartbeat for any mom-to-be who is looking for a great support during their birthing time. Joyanna exceeded my expectations in all areas from pre-labor support (she attended Hypnobabies classes with us, had meetings to get to know me and my husband, and to learn our birth preferences and plan) to after labor visits and checkups (she provided advice, made us lactation cookies that were super yummy, and has been a support even after our little one was born.) Even though my 26 hour labor didn't progress as I had imagined it in my mind, she was a wonderful support to provide me and my husband with guidance, care and help on the day of, so that I was able to still have the best birth possible. She was amazing throughout the entire day and even took beautiful photos for us right after our little one made her entrance into the world. They are pictures that we will cherish forever, and we wouldn't have been able to capture those moments without Joyanna. She is an amazing person and doula and I would recommend her to anyone looking to have the best birthing experience possible!
Joyanna was the rock that held us together throughout our pregnancy. Her thoughtful support and knowledge was invaluable. She provides a point of view that is grounded in her experience growing up helping women give birth in rural Africa. This diverse background makes Joyanna unique. Her stories from Africa helped my wife and I put things in perspective as our birth did not go as we hoped. Our birth seems like it would have been impossible without Joyanna's support and encouragement. By the way, she makes dang good lactation cookies (yes husbands can eat lactation cookies too!) Lastly, as a professional videographer and photographer I can say with confidence that Joyanna has a good eye for photography (although she will never admit it!). In addition to the incredible support Joyanna took many great photos during our birth that we will cherish forever. Thanks again Joyanna!!
Joyanna was just so wonderful, warm and aware of my needs and wants the whole time of my hard back labor. It would've been not very memorable labor without her even though I had my wonderful hubby right there too. I was able to VBAC too!!! I had no idea about birth photography and how special they turns out to be, and I am picky, but her photos she took was just wonderful and on point. I love my birth photos more than my wedding photos really. What can I say, wonderful doula and the best photographer in one package!
Joyanna was our doula during the birth of our son. She did an outstanding job suggesting comfortable positions for my wife to try during labor, applying warm washcloths to ease her pain, and even taking pictures of our baby during his first moments. She did all of that and a lot more. My wife and I agree that Joyanna gets our highest recommendation!
If you are looking for a great Doula, then look no further. Joyanna helped coach both my wife and I through the birth of our daughter. She also met with us on several occasions prior to the birth so she understood our plan and how she could help us. For me, it was great to have someone who I could ask questions and help us make the best decisions for our family. I would highly recommend Joyanna to anyone!
I used Joyanna Goslovich as our doula last month during the birth of my child. She has a sweet and caring personality and has vast knowledge of and experience with the birth process. She is interested in new clinical research about supporting the mother and family during birth, ways to reduce and eliminate pain and discomfort and encouraging a desirable labor and delivery. I have talked to many mothers who wished they used a doula during the birth of their child and I understand why. Joyanna was with me when I needed her, offered suggestions of positions to promote comfort and a smooth descent for my baby, gave massages, cool washcloths (this really helped me!) and communicated with family and medical staff when I could not. I recommend Joyanna to anyone who wishes for a supportive, knowledgeable and compassionate doula for the future birth of a child.
Joyanna was an awesome doula before, during and after the birth of my son. She was very attentive and reassuring in moments of uncertainty. I wanted a natural birth and thanks to her and my midwife I was able to have one. I am blind and I consider myself lucky that she was able to help me before, during and after the birth of my son because she was wonderful at describing anything I couldn't see. She was also great with suggestions to help me cope with pain and even now if I ever have any questions she's there if I ever need anything. I really liked her a lot because she is also very open to learning new things and made sure my needs were met during the birth of my son. Joyanna even took some really nice pictures of the birth of my son so friends and family could see him. I highly recommend her because not only is she a very kind person but she is also very calming and very resourceful.